Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Viacom Google YouTube and Joost

This week, Viacom announced that it's suing YouTube for $1 billion. That is a lot of money!

Viacom claims that 160,000 video clips of its content have been viewed 1.5 billion times. First of all, that means that the average video clip in dispute got almost 10,000 views - way more than any video I've ever uploaded to YouTube. This is the most popular stuff on YouTube... it's the life blood of the service.

These stats also imply that Viacom values a view of a video clip at about $0.66. Not sure about you, but there is no way that I would have paid that much to watch "Dick in a Box" as many times as I did. I also doubt that YouTube could make $0.66 in advertising revenue.

So what is going on here? I think Viacom is just creating sensationalism around the story. ONE BILLION DOLLARS is more news-worthy and interesting than smaller numbers. Even if YouTube is found guilty, I seriously doubt that Viacom will be awarded a billion bucks. No way.

But, I'll tell you who is laughing all the way to the bank! Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis. The boys over at Joost are loving this battle.

No comments: